Translate

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day Nine: 2nd day in the hospital for Pulmonary Embolism

I've just spent my first night in the hospital and I didn't get ANY sleep whatsoever...and I'm EXHAUSTED. I haven't gotten any more than 2-4 hours sleep since the operation, if that.

I finally meet my doctor who will be taking care of me during my stay. He repeats a lot of what the doctor from the previous night had said, but, he is much more descriptive about PE having dealt with it MANY times.

The doctor tells me that my condition is a 4 on a scale of 1-10. That is comforting to know. However, he stresses that I need to be monitored for any more clots and that the anticoagulant therapy would begin later on today, with my first shot of Lovenox.

Something to note is that I am one of the rare cases of PE patients who doesn't need oxygen. In fact, everyone, from the doctors to the nurses are please that my oxygen level is perfect(96 at high altitude), my resting heart rate is as it should be(63) and my blood pressure is also normal(126/80).

At this point, all that the doctor wants to do is ensure that:

(1) he raises my INR to get it closer to the 2-3 range.
(2) ensure that my coughing up of blood doesn't get any worse.


9:00PM - I get my first shot of Lovenox in my stomach. Not painful, but a little sting.

Here begins my anticoagulant therapy.

11:00PM - Go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment