Translate

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day Two

6:00AM - I wake up needing to urinate....But, I can't get off the sofa! I'm feeling a LOT more pain than I did the day before. (The nurse was right! Once the anesthetic wore off, the pain set in).

I cannot walk to the bathroom without help. The pain is too great and I feel like the weight of my testicles is pulling on my midsection. (Later on in the day, my wife bought me an athletic supporter).

6:15AM: I finally make it to the bathroom(yes, it takes me FIFTEEN MINUTES to walk approximately 10 yards. That's how much pain I'm in. I cannot even lift my feet off the floor! I have to drag them, and even doing that I can barely move.

6:30AM - Sitting on the toilet for about 15 minutes, trying to defecate(I feel a strong urge, but I won't dare push! My wife brings me glycerin suppositories and I apply one which helps me to defecate in about another 10 minutes)

7:00AM - I'm trying to get up from the toilet when I feel THE STRONGEST pain that I've EVER felt, in my entire life!!! Feels like someone is applying a blow torch to the incision on the right! I quickly grab a towel and bite into it with all of my might. I can't righfully describe how painful this is. Suffice to say that I broke out into a cold sweat, while shivering from the pain, as if though I was going into SCHOCK!

7:30AM - My wife goes next door and brings my neighbor to the house. He patiently serves as my guide and it takes another 10 minutes to get back to the couch.

By this time, I was MISERABLE!

The rest of the day was pure MISERY!

It hurt to move in any which way while sitting on the reclining couch. Never mind trying to get up, off the couch! It was nearly impossible. I had to urinate into a makeshift plastic pitcher, instead of embarking on the dreaded trip to the bathroom.

By this time, I'm taking two Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5-325mg tables every four hours. And that only brings the pain down to a tolerable level between, say, 4-5. Without the pain killer, I'm sure I'd be in severe pain.

I've come to the conclusion that this type of surgery should NOT be an out-patient procedure, but instead, the patient should be allowed to stay in the hospital for at least 2-3 days where morphine could be administered until the patient is able to walk on their own.

11:00PM - I go to sleep.....somehow, I am able to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment